I don’t think I’ve met anybody who didn’t like gingerbread; it’s a family favorite for us. And this is an amazing recipe.
You can tell we’ve used this page a lot.
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup sugar (or 1/3-1/2 cup honey)
2/3 cup molasses
3/4 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square pan.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
3. Cream together shortening and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy at medium speed of electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in molasses.
4. Add dry ingredients, little by little beating at low speed. Add water; beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on rack until just warm. Serve topped with whipped cream. Yield: 9 servings
This recipe came from the Farm Journal’s Best-Ever Recipes cookbook.
What’s one of your family’s absolute favorite recipes? I’d love to have the recipe, too! Just leave it in your comment. Thanks!