What do you think about pumpkin and chocolate – together? It’s delicious. Here’s a recipe for a cake I made the other day, adapted from this one, which I also made a little healthier and wheat-free. Here ’tis.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9×13″ pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter, honey, and sugar. Add eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla; blend well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 65-70 until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, top with glaze while still warm.
Apple Spice Glaze
3 T. butter
3 T. apple juice
1/4 tsp. vanilla
In a small bowl, cream butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and a little powdered sugar. Add apple juice. Continue to add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached. Spread on warm cake.
Yield: 12-16 servings
*if you want to make this cake wheat-free, use barley, spelt, and/or oat flour. If you are making it wheat-free or whole wheat, replace a few tablespoons of the flour with cornstarch for a lighter batter.