They’re good. Really good. I adapted the recipe from my favorite cookbook (see below!), and made it healthier, but you can’t tell!
Raspberry Buttermilk Muffins with Streusel Topping
1 3/4 cups flour (if using whole wheat, replace a few tablespoons of flour with cornstarch)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4-1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup honey
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 heaping cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
4 1/2 T. butter, melted
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin pan. Place it inside another muffin pan to create a burn-resistant pan.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a smal bowl.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter, honey, and lemon zest. Add egg, vanilla, sour cream, and buttermilk.
4. Stir in flour until just moistened. Fold in raspberries.
5. In a separate bowl, combine streusel ingredients, adding more flour if necessary.
6. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Top with streusel.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done.
Yield: 12 muffins
The original recipe called for blueberries, so that would be good too!