It is October. Thus, I need pumpkin.
I caught a glimpse of Starbucks Pumpkin Bread when I was in the store on Thursday. The glimpse lingered with me, and though I never tasted it, I tried to re-create it. As always, Corrie and I met in the kitchen this morning to concoct Pumpkin Streusel Bread.
The result was an almost-dense, moist, comfortable-tasting bread. Nothing extraordinary, but I am interested to see what the bread will taste like after it sits awhile and the flavors meld. All the spices didn’t stand out when the bread was fresh, but that might change. Speaking of the spices, don’t be afraid of the generous measurements!
Healthy Pumpkin Streusel Bread
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup honey
1/2 cup applesauce
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 T. sugar
3 T. butter, slightly firm
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine coconut oil and honey until smooth. Add applesauce, eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Transfer batter to two greased loaf pans.
5. For streusel: in a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and white sugar. Cut in butter and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
6. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Shake the pans as they come out of the oven to loosen the sides. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing loaves from pans.
7. Slice and enjoy warm with a little butter!
Yield: 2 loaves
So, that’s Healthy Pumpkin Streusel Bread. All in all, it was yummy pumpkin bread. Will it ever reach perfection? Probably not, and neither me nor my family will endure too much pumpkin-bread-testing. I’m not that kind of cook. Next time, I’ll probably just find and tweak a new recipe. I can’t follow recipes, you know.
That’s all for now. Thanks for visiting!
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57